Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Quick Clip From ODC's The Uprising

Hit up a drift event about 2 weeks ago.  Here's an in car clip from one of my better runs that day.  I'll have a bigger update on how the event was later on so stay tuned for that!  Until then, sit back and enjoy your next 30 seconds.

Monday, October 6, 2014

Camber Caster Plates Update

For those of you that have been following along with the camber caster plates you'll know they didn't end up working out too good... While they were able to get the tire flat like I had designed them to do, they also destroyed all of my self steering and I got to learn a lot about caster in the process.

They failed me.  However I wasn't going to just give up on them, at this point I had invested a good chunk of change into them and I didn't want to write it off as a loss.  With a better understanding of caster, how it works, and how much it effects the car I decided to use the plates in a new way.  This time adding caster by simply switching them around.

This made an incredible difference in the way the car drove!  I went from almost no self steering to a very strong and snappy amount of response.  After cruising around on it for a few blocks I decided to see how it felt when sliding.  After a quick little drive over to an open empty lot it was time to see how they were to drift on.

Upon entry of the lot I threw it into a fairly aggressive initiation, let go of the wheel, and watched as my car drove itself.  Seriously, it was awesome.  Big entries, higher speeds, aggressive transitions it didn't matter, it was loving it.  I was able to push my transitions harder than I ever had before and drive out of it with ease.  My car has never drove this easy nor have I ever been in a car that was so simple to control.  What a world of a difference it made.

I'm beyond excited to do some more driving on these, the 18th of October can't come soon enough!

Custom End Plates

For a while now I've been very intersted in the idea of running larger end plates on my wing.  The whole idea being they will help with being able to lay on the gas harder without spinning as easily.  Several drift cars have been using this and it appears to do a rather good job.  So, I took on the challenge and am now working on something of my own.

To start I opened up my trusty Formula Drift rule book and looked up what the largest size is you can use.  12x16 is what I found out so I started with that.  Cut out some 12x16 boards, drilled some holes and slapped them on the car.  Something about it didn't look right so to add a little touch of style to it I decided to notch a corner off the lower front portion of them so they didn't look too ridiculous.  Liking how they were looking I slapped some black paint on them and here's how they turned out.

I've had these on my car for a couple weeks now and I'm rather satisfied with the way they look, so I went ahead and ordered some aluminum plate and will be making the final ones here soon.  The current ones on the car were made from wood and are only meant to be a temporary thing.